CVOR is the registration system for operators of commercial motor vehicles.  The goal of this system is to monitor the safety of commercial vehicles and remove from service those operators who are unsafe. Although the Highway Traffic Act considers all pickup trucks to be commercial motor vehicles, a pickup truck used for commercial purposes (not personal use) only needs a Commercial Vehicle Operator's Registration (CVOR) certificate if it has an actual or registered gross weight (RGW) of more than 4,500 kg.

IFTA (International Fuel Tax Agreement)

IFTA credentials are valid for travel in the 10 provinces in Canada and 48 states in the U.S. You should register for  IFTA if: 

your commercial vehicle is a motor vehicle used for business purposes and:

  • Has two axles and a gross vehicle weight or registered gross vehicle weight of more than 11,797 kg (26,000 pounds)
  • Three or more axles regardless of weight, or
  • A total registered gross vehicle weight of more than 11,797 kg (26,000 pounds) when used in combination with a trailer.

IRP Plates

IRP Plates (The International Registration Plan ( IRP ) is an agreement between certain Canadian provinces and U.S. states that distributes commercial vehicle registration fees based on the total distance travelled in each place.)

Read More